Unsafe Food for Children
Problem of choking in children during eating
Choking is a common problem a child may face as the child learns how to eat and swallow different food stuffs. Choking happens when the child eats food or some foreign object is swallowed or sucked in the windpipe, resulting in blockage of airway. This obstruction to the airway hampers the supply of oxygen to the child’s brain.
Choking problem is generally faced by the children who are under the age of four years. The older children above four years normally do not have this problem of food choking. This choking problem happens to kids because they have small upper airways. Another factor that causes choking is that the child has to learn the skill of swallowing,
breathing and chewing at the same time. Among other factors of chocking are the teeth, young kids don not have back molars, which helps in chewing the food properly before swallowing the food.
Sometimes the child may spit out or vomit the food if the child does not feel comfortable. This generally happens with the children who are above the four of age. Small kids generally do not have the ability to understand the choking problem.
Although the children are more prone to choking problem, but this choking may happen to any adult at any time. Parents have to teach the child right method of eating and swallowing. Always be around the kid when the kid is taking his/her food. Never allow the children to take food alone.
Role of parents and caretakers
- Never allow the small kids to consume food that may enhance the possibility of choking.
- Children below the age group of four years should given food stuff which is mashed and cut into very small pieces so that the child can easily swallow the food.
- Do not let the children run around or play when they are taking their food. Make sure that your child eats food properly. For eating food the child should be seated on a table or keep the child confined to a high chair when the child is eating.
- Give proper education to the children regarding eating habits. Teach them to eat their food quietly and not to talk while eating.
- You should provide separate food for all the children. Educate the older children about not to share their food with the younger kids.
- Keep your food stuff beyond the reach of kids. Do not leave the food items on table or on floor other wise kids may consume it unknowingly and get choking problem and this practice is unhygienic also.
- Teach the children about taking food in small quantities and not that they stuff their mouth with too much food at a time.
It is very important for every parent and care takers to get trained in CPR. This CPR training should also include Heimlich maneuver. Techniques of CPR and the Heimlich maneuver are different. There are different techniques for different age groups and sizes. Parents and caretakers should always be ready and alert to know about any updates on the subject of proper age appropriate maneuvers.
Which food item is not safe for my child?
This is very important for the parents and caretakers to identify the right food stuff for their children. They should be aware of what stuff is harmful and which food is healthy for their kids. Listed below are some of the food items which should be avoided.
- Hot Dogs
- Chunks of cheese
- Raw vegetables
- Hard candy
- Sticky candy
- Chunks of peanut butter
- Chewing gum
- Chunks of fruit