Diabetes is such a problem that it has affected a vast majority of people over the world. The statistics of the population affected by diabetes is mind-boggling. In the United States alone the population affected by population is alarming and in the recent years there has been a marked increase of diabetic cases with the changes that has been brought out in the life styles of the people. There was a time when diabetics of the type II were restricted to people of the age group of thirty-five and above. But the life style changes, children too have shown a rise in the affliction of type II diabetics.
The complications attributed to diabetics are also increasing day by day. Stated below are some figures, which will set one’s mind, thinking as to where the world is heading.
- It has been estimated that more than 60 to sixty five percent of the people who suffer from diabetics also suffer from high blood pressure.
- Diabetics have not restricted itself with the problem. Out of every ten persons affected by diabetics, a minimum four of them have come up with complications.
- In the United States of America alone, amputations of the lower limb is done because of some infection that has taken place and this infection can be attributed to diabetics. Non-traumatic amputations due to diabetics are more in the United States than in any other part of the world.
- Diabetic more often than not affects women and the startling fact is that they are not aware of it. This is not alone restricted to gestational diabetics, which is common for women during the stage of pregnancy. An approximate 8.1 million women across the United States suffer from diabetics and only two third of this population know about it.
- In the case of men too, the fact is not much different. Again diabetics affect an approximate seven million men and more than one third of this population is not aware of it.
- One of the leading causes of death in the United States, it takes up the seventh position as the cause of deaths.
- Diabetics are also the cause of other problems like adult blindness. More people in the United States are affected by blindness attributed to diabetics than those that are born blind.
- The cases of kidney failure due to diabetics are more than any other cases of related kidney failure cases put together.
- Peripheral Vascular Diseases affects women more and the ratio with which the affect women are more than that of men affected by Peripheral Vascular Diseases
- Forty percentage of men affected by diabetes suffer from erectile dysfunction. Most cases of diabetics affected people have an end stage renal diseases.
- Other complications for people who suffer from diabetics are blindness, amputations, kidney diseases, stroke, and heart attack.
- Canada has accounted for the maximum number of death by diseases to diabetics.
- Day by day the number of people who are diagnosed with diabetics are more. In the United States alone an approximate number of two thousand people are diagnosed as having diabetics every day.
- African Americans are more prone to diabetics than white Americans. The statistics state that for every ten African Americans there are six white Americans who are affected by diabetics.
- The life expectancy of people affected by diabetics is less by almost fifteen years compared to the people who are not affected by diabetics.