Prevention of poisoning during childhood
Here the poisoning does not mean deliberate poisoning it is about the poisoning which can happen in the children when they consume something of that nature. This childhood poisoning normally can happen to the children who are in the age group of one to three years. This age group is more prone to the childhood poisoning because this group likes to move around, likes to put anything inside their mouth they encounter and also do not understand the concept of hazard. But the childhood poisoning can happen to the children of any age group.
The place or cabinet where you store your medicines should always be kept out of reach to the children. Because this is the most common place where the child can find the things which can result in harming the child. Besides,
many household items can also contain some type of poisonous substance. This is very important for parents and caretakers to have a total survey of all the household things and identify the items which may pose the threat of poisoning. For example house plants, cleaners, lead and iron products are some of the household items which can prove poisonous.
Some tips for Poison Prevention
- In order to stop the consumption of medicines by children, keep all your medication with child proof caps. As we all are aware that children are very sensitive, and also like to copy the actions of adults. A child will try to copy you in case he/she have seen you taking medication. To avoid this try and have your medicine when your children are not around.
- Keep al the cleaners and chemicals out of reach of your children. For this purpose keep your cleaning materials and chemicals in a locked cabin. Such cleaning material and chemicals includes include bleach, weed killers, lye, alcohol, paint, paint thinners, fingernail polish, fingernail polish remover, mothballs, drain cleaners, rat poison, and household cleaners such as furniture polish, air fresheners, and ammonia.
- You should have full knowledge of at least about the plants which you are having at your home. List out the poisonous plants in and around of your home. Many of these plants contain poison and can cause poisoning if consumed. If you are not able to identify the poisonous plants, take services of an expert. Some of the poisonous plants are jade plants, holly berry, pepper plants, oleander, and the poinsettia.
- Always try to store all the household items in their original packing or cartoons. Never try to interchange the packing or cartoons.
- All the items which contain alcohol should be kept out of reach of the children because the consumption of alcoholic items may also be harmful. These items include mouthwashes, perfumes, aftershaves and colognes.
Keep yourself always ready to handle any unforeseen situation. For this purpose you can keep the telephone number of the local poison control centre in your area taped in your phone. In order to handle any accidental poisoning, paste the important telephone numbers like telephone number of local children hospital and that of child’s pediatrician near your telephone.
All the parents and the caretakers are advised to keep a bottle of ipecac stored in their medical kit, so that you can give it to the child in case you are asked to do so. This syrup of ipecac is to be given to the child in some certain conditions so that the child may vomit. You should be aware of the fact that you should never ever try to give this syrup to the child of your own. This syrup should be given to the child under the instructions of a professional from the poison control center or from your child’s pediatrician. There are number of poisons which will result in posing more danger to the child if the child is made to vomit.