Poison Ivy Rash
As much as nature provides the humans with bounties, there are some elements which you have to keep away from. These elements include plants, animals, and insects. When it comes to plants, there are plenty of varieties which you have to be cautious from. One of these is poison ivy, a poisonous variety of plant which results to allergic reactions when the skin comes into contact with this. This plant variety may spring from the earth as a woody shrub which supports its own growth. On the other hand, it can also grow as a vine; snaking along the earthen floor. This plant may also climb on trees and other shrubs.
When you develop an allergic reaction to this plant, the skin irritation commonly fades away within a matter of ten days. There are other names for poison ivy. These include poison creeper, three-leaved ivy, and Toxicodendron radicans. There are various ways for you to get irritated with this plant. First, you can get allergic reactions when you accidentally touch it. Second, you will get affected with it when you come into contact with a thing which has also touched the plant. One of the most common reasons why you can get irritated with the plant is when you touch the leaves. Touching the roots or the stem of this plant variety may also cause you to develop allergic reactions. On the other hand, it is possible for you to get allergies just by breathing in the smoke of burned poison ivies.
When your skin becomes irritated with poison ivy, the signs will manifest themselves within 24 to 48 hours after coming into contact with the plant. The first sign that you will go through is extreme itchiness of your skin. After several hours, you will catch a fever. This is followed by the inflammation, blistering, and redness to the irritated skin area. If your allergic reaction is severe, oozing sores will develop.
When your skin gets irritated with poison ivies, you will not be able to cure it. All you have to do is treat the problem, in order for you to relieve the symptoms. To make the treatment more efficient, you should apply it prior to the development of the oozing sores. When your skin rash heals, it will continue to be really sensitive to various types of contact. The super-sensitivity of your skin will persist for months. If the irritation is severe, it can lead to complications. One of the most well-known complications to this type of skin irritation is infection. You will know that your rashes are infected when they swell and feel painful. What is more, the rashes will feel warm to the touch. When you feel these symptoms, you need to consult with your physician immediately. This way, you will be able to find a treatment for it.
The poison ivy is most commonly found anywhere within the U.S. and the southern part of Canada. On the other hand, it does not thrive within high altitude regions, deserts, and far west. If the area you are residing at is riddled with this plant, you should be extra careful so as not to develop allergic reactions.