General information about Heel Spur
One may experience pain in the heel. Though there are various reasons for heel pain the possibility of your heel pain being result of heel spur can not be ruled out. However, it is not necessary that each heel pain must be result of heel spur. It is advisable to consult your doctor whenever you experience such pain. Your doctor will determine whether your pain is due to heel spur or not after conducting medical examination.
A Heel Spur is formation of hook shape bone from heel bone of foot. Heel Spurs are identical and also associated with the plantar fasciitis.
More than 70% people suffering from plantar fasciitis also suffer from heel spurs.
Extreme pain the rear side of foot is main sign of Heel Spurs. You may experience aggravation of pain with activities like walking, running or after spending longer times on foot.
Causes behind development of Heel Spurs
Heel Spurs are nothing but the excessive growth of heel bone. Such excessive growth is caused due to calcium deposits formed as a result of stretching of plantar fascia and pulling away from the heel. To understand this, you must know that plantar fascia is a ligament located at the foot bottom. Generally, stretching of plantar fascia is caused due to abnormal high arches and flat feet.
Treatment of Heel Spurs
There are some remedies available for treating Heel Spurs. Treatment of Heel Spurs is determined based on the root cause of occurrence of heel spurs. If it is confirmed that flat feet is the cause behind your heel spur, you can use an orthotic with rear foot posting and provide support to longitudinal arch. This remedy will help you in reducing the over-pronation that is caused due to flat feet.
Following are some of the treatments commonly used in treating heel spurs.
- Physical exercises – mainly stretching exercises
- Rest plays an important role in preventing aggravation of heel spur condition
- Application of ice packs on the affected area also provide relief from pain
- Use of pain killers or anti-inflammatory medications provide instant pain relief
- Sudden weight gain is considered as one of the major causes behind occurrence of Heels Spurs. Loosing weight helps in treatment.
- Wearing proper fitting shoes with adequate arch support and cushions, which absorbs shock, is part of heel spur treatment.
- Elevation of heel by using orthotic, heel cradle or heel cup.
All above treatments are basically aimed at relieving pain and also ensuring realignment of the heel bone. These treatments also prevent worsening of heel spur condition and eliminating the occurrence of heel spurs gradually.
You must take preventive measures to avoid the occurrence of heel spurs. Some simple steps like use of properly fitting shoes, regular exercises (not prolonged or intense) will surely help you in preventing occurrence of heel spurs. However, if you develop heel spurs despite all precautions, you must consult a doctor.