How to Recognize a Fad Diet
About fad diet
Fad diet is the name given to a type of diet. Generally a fad diet claims to reduce weight very quickly. This type of diet normally remains popular only for a short period of time only. Fad diets are packaged and marked in an attractive fashion so as to attract the attention of the fatty person and those who want to loose weight very quickly too. A number of fad diets claim that a person can lose weight very quickly by just following the eating plan of the diet. The fad diet also claims that a person doesn’t require any exercise to loose weight. But the experts are of the other opinion and consider these fad diets as unhealthy and also see them as a gimmick.
Ways to recognizing a Fad Diet
Fad diets can be compared with the popular phrase “Empty vessels make much noise”. Generally fad diets claim very high promises. Most of the claims the fad diets make are not true and safe. Some general guidelines are provided in the below mentioned list, which will help you to recognize the fad diets, so that you can be safe and avoid the unhealthy plans offered by these fad diets.
Tips to recognize a fad diet:
- Most of the fad diets recommend not taking certain type of food stuff. On the other hand a fed diet will encourage you to have more and more of another type of food stuff.
- The diet promises to reduce weight in quick time and at a faster rate, without any physical exercise. Diets claim to reduce weight at a rate of more than two pounds in a week.
- The diet which promises magic food that can burn fat.
- The diet which offers not a flexible menu and also containing a list of foods to be eaten at a certain time of day.
- The diet which do not have any warning label.
- The diet which does not have any scientific research credentials to support its claims.
- The diet will also try to market their product to a consumer by claiming that weight-loss is not at all possible without their diet.
Few Examples of Fad Diets
Diets in liquid form
Most people who choose to have liquid diet will loose weight usually. But generally the weight will again increase if the dieter switches back to normal food. The person who is opting for the liquid diet should be very cautious and should not take liquid diets for a longer period. The main draw back of the liquid diets is that they are not able to give any vitamins and minerals to the body, which are essential for maintaining a good health.
Diets which are High in Protein
The main claim of a high protein is that if an individual take a lot of proteins, then the individual will be able to build muscle and loose fat. Physicians are aware that the muscle building can only happen by way of weight training only. By opting for high protein diet you will be able to loose good amount of weight. But this high protein diet may result in damage to the liver and kidneys.
Diets with Grapefruit Diet & Cabbage Diet
A fad diet is the one which require taking only some certain type of food only. This kind of restrictive diet is not very safe and is unhealthy also. Most of the fad dieters normally do not last very long. Due to very low calorie intake and lack of vitamins and minerals in the food may cause weakness. The other effect of such diet is the low metabolic rate which in turn results in burning of fewer calories.