The procedure of removal of foreskin from the penis is known as Circumcision. This procedure is generally performed within a day or two of child’s birth. This is a simple procedure and is performed by a pediatrician or an obstetrician/gynecologist.
In America many parents like to have their sons being circumcised. There are many theories about this procedure. Some parents decide to have their sons circumcised due to religious reasons. On the other hand other parents follow it because the father of the baby has been circumcised. Large part of doctor community believes that circumcision is not at all required and is an unnecessary procedure. On the other hand research in this field has shown some different results. First is that males who do not undergo this procedure at the time of birth, are at greater risk of urinary tract infections during their young age. Secondly such child is at the greater risk of cancer in that region in their older age.
In the recent years circumcision has not been that much popular as compared to past. As per the statistics, the era of 1960s was the peak period of circumcision. And, since then circumcision has been on steady decline. In the 1960s, about 80% male children born in America were circumcised. But today this percentage has come down to 64%. The decision to have child circumcised or not is a personnel choice. The parents should decide about this well in advance, before the birth of child.
In case the parents decide to have their child undergo the procedure of circumcision, they should request for the child may be given local anesthesia, so that child doesn’t feel the pain. If the parents decide to have this procedure performed at a later stage than they should request for the child may be given general anesthesia.
Some useful tips about care after Circumcision
- Change the diaper of child as soon as they soil.
- Take utmost care while cleaning the area, use mild soap. Do not merge the bottom of baby in water, till the child has fully recovered from circumcision.
- In order to keeps the baby’s diaper not sticking to the wound, application of some antibiotic ointment or petroleum jelly is strongly recommended.
- You can also keep a piece of gauze over the ointment or jelly.
- Do not put powder or lotions, till the area has fully recovered.
Requirement of doctor after Circumcision
- Call a doctor if the redness on the area remains for more than a week.
- In case of swelling call the doctor.
- If you see the crusted sore on the wound, call the doctor
- If you observe bleeding or drainage from pennies, call the doctor.
- If the penis gets discolored (black or blue), call the doctor.
- If the child have temperature.
- In case there is any bad odor from the circumcised area.
- In case the child urinates less or dribbling urine.
After the procedure of circumcision some physicians will put a small piece of clear plastic over the wound. This plastic piece looks like a bell. Normally there are no specific instructions for this plastic and this will automatically falls within ten days or so.