Baby Care: Grooming
Baby care – bath
As it is said cleanliness is next to godliness. It is very important for every parent to keep their infant neat and clean so that their baby can maintain a good and healthy body. The main areas of baby cleanliness are the face, hands and diaper region. Till the private parts skin and navel area skin is completely healed, infant should be given only sponge bath.
How to bathe a baby?
- Before giving bath to an infant, collect and keep every item you will require during the process of bathing within your reach, so that you do not for items every time and leave the infant alone.
- Sink or a plastic baby bathing tub are suitable for infant bathing.
- Infants have very sensitive skin so utmost care should be given to water temperature. Don’t check the water temperature with your hand; check it with your elbow. (Adult hands being tougher are more tolerant to hot temperatures.)
- Do remember to hold the child firmly in the tub and do not fill the sink or tub more than one or two inch of water. Be very alert and careful while giving bath to child, do not pay attention to any other thing and never leave the infant alone in the water.
- If you want to shampoo an infant’ head only mild shampoo should be used. Special shampoo prescribed by the pediatrician should only be used, in case the infant have cradle cap.
- Never use adult soap on infant’s skin, use mild soap or baby soap. Infants have a very soft and delicate skin and if hard soap is used the skin may get dried or have rashes.
- While giving bath to baby give special attention to the hidden areas, like ears, nose and private parts. Clean the eyes with lot of water. Clean the nose properly.
- Always rub the body of infant with soft hands and do not pres any body part harshly.
- Never rub the skin of infant, always dry the baby by patting. Dry-up all the areas of baby’s body; give special care to the areas where skin is folded.
Baby care – trimming of nails
Due care should be given to the nails of infants; if the nails are not trimmed from time to time the baby can injure himself with nails. Although, the nails of infants are very thin but they are very sharp. The best timing of trimming nails of infant is when they are sleeping. While trimming nails be very attentive and cut the nails very slowly. Always useblunt-tipped nail cutter.
Baby care – skin protection
As we all aware that baby’s have a very soft skin and is always susceptible to rashes. Always select soft and smooth clothing for the babies. Special care should be given for washing of clothes of infants. Use mild washing powders or cakes for washing baby clothes and rinse the clothes thoroughly. If the baby clothes are having particles of detergent, it may cause skin irritation.